11.05.2009

One of the best things about being a grownup.

Is that you can buy whatever you want and no one can stop you. For some reason we were having a discussion about ants at work and I realized, I've always wanted an ant farm. I'm 31 years old, why have I never had an ant farm? Especially in this age, when you can buy just about anything online. Even an ant farm, complete with live ants.



It was about $35, including ants and shipping. But I basically doomed my colony by not ponying up the extra $8 for some sort of overnight delivery. Instead, my two test tubes full of ants sat suffocating in a box for about a week. When they arrived, there were only about 1/3 left alive. Morale of the remaining ants was pretty low. Then, to make things worse, I didn't try to filter out the dead ants. They all went into the farm with their brothers. Which led to an interesting discovery. As the ants were building their tunnels (they built some pretty nice tunnels), they also moved the dead ants to two little ant graveyards and buried them.

As of today, there are only two ants left, still working away, carrying sand around.

The good news is, new test tubes of ants are only a few clicks away.

No comments: