1.09.2007

2006 RESOLUTION REVIEW.

Here is a list of resolutions I made at the beginning of last year, along with an review of how successful I was at achieving them. The wording of the resolutions is unchanged from the original document.

(not listed in order of preference)

Less television. More reading and writing.
Success. After moving into an apartment that has no cable, I dramatically reduced the amount of television I watched. This lead to more reading and, yes, even more writing.

Keep a journal.
Fail. I think I successfully made one entry in a computer journal, a la Doogie Howser, but keeping a journal made me feel like an egocentric jerk.

Do at least one thing each week that I couldn't do in any other city.
Toss up. I did a lot of things last year, but not in the way I meant. I meant go see more art exhibits, more photography shows, more weird things, etc. I did see a lot of stand-up comedy, thanks mostly to Brooke.

Get back into shape. Join a gym.
Succeed. From June through October I was in good shape; then it all went to hell. But I did join a gym, so I think I can count this as a win.

Talk to family and close friends at least once per week.
Fail. My phone-aversion still dominates.

Make it to Aaron's wedding in Tahiti.
Fail. But I'm going to the USA reception in LA this weekend.

Go to bed and wake up earlier.
Success. Recently, I've been able to do this. I guess when I have to, I can be a grown man.

Improve massage technique through practice.
Fail. No steady ladies this year. Wow. That's sad.

Pay down credit cards.
Success. I'm 2/3 the way to done.

Acquire fishing rod, reel and tackle. Go fishing.
Fail. Although my brother got me a fishing pole to use in San Diego. I tried fishing with it in Mexico, but only succeeded in breaking the line.

Play more golf.
Success. More than 2005, yes. But still not enough.

Play some soccer.
Success. I played in two co-ed leagues and played in several pick-up games over the course of the year. It's fun.

Be more assertive.
Toss up. I'm still a coward, but I'm getting better.

Visit friends in England and California.
California, success. England, fail.

Reduce amount of fantasy sports played.
Success. I've reduced the quantity, but replaced it with bigger, better, more expensive leagues.

Remember birthdays and send cards.
Maybe 4 out of 27. Fail.

Grow new appendix.
Unknown. I need an x-ray to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure I did it.

Improve portfolio, get better job, do better work.
I'm going to say fail. I'm very critical of my career and I'm not where I want to be yet. Shit.

Complete at least one non-work related creative project.
Fail. I would say I've completed many blogs, which are sort of creative projects. But Homeless Joe says these don't count, and I'm inclined to agree.

Do something charitable.
Toss-up. I give change to homeless people, especially bent-over-guy, who lives by me. I also tried to launch a fundraising idea for the homeless (and by tried, I mean I talked about it to a few people) and had no success.

Have more fun while drinking less.
Fail.

Learn new music.
Success. Thanks mostly to Heather, Shannon and Christos (sign up for Christos' MP3 of the day).

Buy a good black suit.
Fail. Didn't need it.

Overall, I failed. But the fact that I even had a list of resolutions and that I did some of them should be considered a victory. I win.

No comments: