8.08.2007

JOHN AND SEBASTIAN.

I've been watching a new HBO show, John From Cincinnati, since it started. And until about three episodes ago I was really liking it. It's random, kind of funny and pretty mysterious. Then--and I'm not sure if it was written in the script or a director decided this should happen--Sissy, the mother/grandmother on the show became a complete nut job. I don't care if you want a character to be overly protective and prone to fits of hysterics, but sometimes she has to shut the fuck up. All she does is scream and shout and kick things; she's constantly pissed and flustered. There's nothing endearing about that. There's not even anything entertaining about that.

Nevertheless, I still like the show. And even though I think it's a common assumption that John is some sort of Jesus, I'm waiting and hoping there's some strange twist we didn't see coming. My guess right now is that the stick figures are foreshadowing that if John is indeed Jesus, the rest of the characters will become John's apostles.

In other news, troubled basketball phenom (or former phenom) Sebastian Telfair is taking steps to clean up his life and make a new start in Minnesota.

"I have not been charged with anything," he said. "I've been in some unfortunate situations where I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I fully take responsibility for that. I grew up learning how not to be in those situations." Telfair also said he's moved out of New York City and into Las Vegas in order to stay out of trouble and "concentrate on basketball."

Um, nice try Sebastian. But don't you think that if you wanted to stay out of trouble you could find somewhere more appropriate than Vegas? Like, sayyyyy, Minnesota? I bet you could stay out of trouble there. No one goes to Vegas to stay out of trouble. People go to Vegas to FIND trouble. It's like the world headquarters for trouble (or maybe the US headquarters, I'm pretty sure Amsterdam is Europe's).

The only logic--and it's pretty poor logic--that I can see in this is that Telfair has placed too much stock in commercials claiming, "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." I don't believe that should be taken literally.

No comments: