12.18.2007

J. PETERMAN

I have a friend, a talented artist, who earns part of his living by doing paintings for the J. Peterman catalog. If J. Peterman sounds familiar, it might be because Elaine worked for Peterman on Seinfeld. The company is not fictional, although renderings of the clothing they sell are based partially on imagination.


(painting not by friend, I don't think)


Granted, these paintings may have character and make the Peterman catalog almost a work of art, but I don't find them very helpful when shopping for clothes. If I was a cartoon shopping for a cartoon jacket, then maybe. But I'm not.

Don't you want to see what clothes look like in real life, where you actually exist? That's why we invented cameras, because paintings took too long and were only partially accurate.

No comments: