10.18.2006

COMMUTING LESSONS.

I now have a freelance job which requires me to make approximately a one hour commute in both directions. Luckily, I live in the land of public transportation, so most of this commute can be passed with the reading of a book or staring out the window of a train at trees and houses and birds and cars. Being only the second day I've had to make this trip, I actually kind of enjoy it. It's a chance to relax and gradually start your day and a good way to wind down at the end. We'll see how I feel after a week of getting up at 7am.

Anyways, it's during this commute that I've learned a few lessons.

The first involves coffee and cabs. Never get your coffee BEFORE your cab ride. And if you do, for god's sake, don't open that little sip square. Between potholes and braking and sudden sharp turns, you're bound to end up wearing your drink. Just wait.

The next lesson is an important one. Do not talk on your phone next to old ladies on the train. I had just boarded and was finishing a conversation when a woman spits at me "can you keep your voice down?" I couldn't hear what she said, since the train was a bit loud so I begged her pardon, to which she replied "you need to stop talking so loud." Loud? I was speaking at a normal level. And this woman was not even asking nicely. So quite loudly I said into my phone, "I have to go, I just got yelled at for talking loud."

Later, the conductor came on the intercom and announced that he expected a lot of passengers to board at the next stop, so people should move their bags and put their feet down to make room. Well, did little old lady move her purse and suitcase from the seat next to her? Of course not. It took all of my willpower to not lean over and say, "it's common courtesy to move your bags and make room, you nasty old bitch." But I did not.

I have also learned lessons about exact change, bad breath, businessmen conducting a business meeting and going the wrong direction. I'm looking forward to learning all there is to learn about commuting.

No comments: