2.19.2008

THE WIRE: SO GREAT, SO FAR.



In case you were wondering, I love The Wire. I started watching when the first season came out and I've been hooked ever since. It's safe to say "the shipping port" season was a bit slow, but otherwise I think it's been one of the best shows on television, hands down. Last season, in the schools, was the best of all. This is evidenced by the fact that I watched almost the entire box set in a 24-hour window. Perhaps that's sad, but I think it's glorious.

This year started off strong, but recently I have a few gripes. And hoping that someone at HBO is reading this and can somehow magically alter already-in-the-can upcoming episodes, here are 10 suggestions to help finish the season strong:

1. This McNulty storyline is KILLING ME. Normally, I find the plots and action on The Wire to be pretty realistic and believable (based my extensive experience slinging dope on the rough streets of Baltimore and my other years spent working as a Baltimore city policeman). But this whole manufacturing evidence thing, it's waaay out there. And it's annoying. Please, please, put an end to this before I tie a red ribbon around my wrist and bite my own ass.

2. More Omar! We can never get enough of Omar. I've never felt so attached or affectionate towards a murdering, homosexual gangster. You ain't man enough to come down and dance in the streets with Omar!

4. Scott needs to get his. I know it's coming, but it better be big and bad and humiliating. And while you're at it, Cheese can get his as well.

5. How can you bring the newspaper people into the plot and NOT have the police think of involving them in the investigation? You're short on manpower, you need surveillance, you need people asking questions...use those reporters, you idiots! All you have to do is give them the inside scoop and let'em loose. Shit, they'll practically do your job for you.

6. There should be at least three instances in each episode which prompt Senator Clay Davis to say, "shiiiiiiiiiiiiit."

7. Give Bunk his due. The man works hard and is good at his job.

8. The lesbian mother wannabe story line? No one cares. Drop it.

9. Let Avon Barksdale out of prison. I like Marlo, but that kid has to learn some respect. If Omar doesn't teach him, Avon will.

10. You must stop this OnDemand early release program. I've already had one key moment ruined by it (the end of Prop Joe), and I feel like I can't talk to people for fear they'll spoil the next episode.

That's all. Thank you.

1 comment:

The Hawk said...

Aw man... but Jim, the scene at the end of the last episode with Kima and the little boy was one of the best of the entire series "Good night hustlers"!